Barkley ready for Everton exit, putting Man United and Tottenham on alert
The football world's gossip mill is in full swing, and Transfer Talk is monitoring the whispers ahead of all the summer moves. Check out the latest deals and potential deals here.
Barkley ready for Everton exit
England midfielder Ross Barkley is ready to leave Everton, and both Manchester United and Tottenham are watching developments with interest, according to the Mirror.
It reports that Barkley failed to meet manager Ronald Koeman's demand for him to clarify by Monday whether he would sign a £100,000-a-week contract.
Because there has been "no commitment either way from his representatives, it is likely Barkley will be given until later in the week to make a final decision," the report adds.
But it now "appears the 23-year-old is contemplating turning his back on the £5 million-a-year deal."
That will alert both Jose Mourinho and Mauricio Pochettino, the Mirror says, and both "could be persuaded to bid £20m for a player with one year left on his current contract."
Koeman is already considering midfield reinforcements, with Davy Klaassen of Ajax and Swansea's Gylfi Sigurdsson among the players he hopes to bring to Goodison Park.
Chelsea and Monaco to begin Bakayoko talks
Earlier this month, reports suggested Chelsea were firmly in the market for Monaco's Tiemoue Bakayoko, and now the Mail reports that talks between the clubs are set to start.
Bakayoko, who has two years remaining on his contract with the new French champions, has also been linked with Manchester United and Liverpool.
But the Mail reports that Chelsea "are favourites to sign the France international," adding that discussions with his representatives have already taken place.
It says the Blues "are expected to offer £40m" and could allow Nemanja Matic to move to United if Bakayoko arrives.
Monaco plan to replace him with Anderlecht's Youri Tielemans and the Mirror reports that "a £21m move is set to be finalised next week."
Meanwhile, Michy Batshuayi -- whose goal secured the Premier League title -- could be plying his trade elsewhere next season, according to the Mirror.
It says promoted Newcastle hope to sign the £33m striker on a season-long loan deal.
Defoe closes in on Bournemouth switch
Jermain Defoe is set to sign for Bournemouth, where he had a spell on loan as a West Ham youngster back in 2000, the Telegraph reports.
Bournemouth and the Hammers were the clubs most strongly linked with the England striker, who can leave Sunderland on a free transfer after their relegation, but the Londoners did not follow up their earlier interest.
The Telegraph reports that 34-year-old Defoe "is thought to have opened talks with Bournemouth immediately after Sunderland's final game of the season."
But it adds that he "will want to match his wages at Sunderland, where he was paid around £70,000 a week," and "it remains to be seen whether Bournemouth are put off" by that figure.
-- Gael Clichy has reportedly confirmed that he is leaving Manchester City at the end of the season.
City have not confirmed the former Arsenal defender's departure, but he spoke at a fans' Q&A and was quoted by Sky Sports as saying: "It's hard. I'm not sure whether or not Joe [Hart] will be here next season, and I won't be here next season."
-- West Bromwich Albion manager Tony Pulis wants to add Sion forward Moussa Konate to his ranks but faces competition from newly promoted Brighton, the Birmingham Mail reports.
It says West Brom have watched Senegal international Konate, who is valued at around £5m, and could table a bid as they look to secure early summer reinforcements.
-- After guiding Millwall back into the Championship in the League One playoff final, manager Neil Harris was not one for hanging around, according to the Evening Standard.
It reports that Harris and his chairman John Berylson "spoke about potential targets on the pitch straight after the 1-0 Wembley win against Bradford City."