Wayne Rooney set for imminent £30 million move to Chinese Super League
January has come and gone, but Transfer Talk is already monitoring the whispers ahead of all the summer moves. Check out the latest deals here.
Rooney ready to leave Man United
There is only one transfer story right now, and that is that Wayne Rooney is on the brink of a sensational departure from Old Trafford, which could happen by next week.
The Mirror reported that Manchester United will bank a £30 million fee from an unnamed Chinese Super League side, while the Sun believes the England skipper will make an astonishing £1m per week, confirming the 31-year-old as the world's highest-paid player.
One Chinese club, Tianjin Guanjian, confirmed on Wednesday that they had held initial talks with Rooney but decided against pursuing a deal.
"We did make an approach for Rooney and Aubameyang," Tianjin boss and former Italy international Fabio Cannavaro said. "For Rooney, it was just a chat because he simply doesn't suit our style of play. No further discussion was necessary.
Speculation was ramped up on Tuesday when Jose Mourinho refused to rule out a move for his captain, who is injured for United's Europa League game vs. Saint-Etienne, before the CSL transfer deadline next week.
Mourinho said: "I cannot guarantee that I'm here next week. How can I guarantee that a player is here next season?"
The Mail claimed, however, that Rooney's move to China is not set in stone and that a host of Major League Soccer clubs and Everton are still in the mix to sign the England captain.
The Telegraph, meanwhile, says Rooney is no certainty to leave Man United, and it will all hinge on if Mourinho includes the striker in his squad for Sunday's EFL Cup final against Southampton.
Real Madrid join chase for Brandt
Liverpool face competition from Real Madrid for German winger Julian Brandt, the Mail claimed, with the Champions League holders watching the player closely at Bayer Leverkusen's round-of-16 tie vs. Atletico Madrid on Tuesday.
The winger impressed during the 4-2 defeat in the Champions League at the BayArena, which will complicate a potential move to Anfield, should Madrid have been sufficiently impressed.
Jurgen Klopp is desperate to add speed and width to his squad after seeing his side drop off in the absence of Sadio Mane. And Brandt's trickery would be the perfect tonic, though failure to land the player last month could now prove costly.
City and Toffees eye the Ox
Arsenal will face a fight to keep hold of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain this summer, with both Manchester City and Everton eager to lure the England international away from the Emirates, the Mirror reported.
The midfielder has just one year remaining on his current deal and has failed to hold down a first-team place under Arsene Wenger.
Pep Guardiola is an avid fan of the 23-year-old from his time at Bayern Munich, when Oxlade-Chamberlain performed well against him in the Champions League, while Ronald Koeman sees the player as a key target in order to oversee a revolution at Goodison Park.
Spurs prepare summer move for Real Madrid star
Mauricio Pochettino wants Real Madrid playmaker Isco to move to Tottenham this summer, with the Mirror reporting that the Spaniard will move on in search of first-team football.
The 24-year-old has struggled to earn a starring role for Zinedine Zidane and might now feel that the time is right to move in order to replicate his scintillating form from his time at Malaga on a weekly basis.
With just 18 months left on Isco's deal, Spurs could potentially seal a bargain to add to their exciting and creative side.
Isco would lessen the creative burden on Christian Eriksen while also assisting Dele Alli's goal contribution from midfield.
- Daley Blind will be booted out the door by Mourinho as he aims to restructure his defence, the Sun claimed, with his £130,000-per-week wages set to free up room for a top signing.
That is thought to be ready for Victor Lindelof from Benfica, who was touted as a January target, though the Swede remained in Lisbon, if only until the summer.
- AC Milan will tie down Spanish winger Suso to a new four-and-a-half-year deal, Tuttosport reported.
The former Liverpool starlet has shone under Vincenzo Montella and struck a double in the 2-2 draw in this season's Derby d'Italia.