Man United's Deadline Day moves for Ahmed Musa and Renato Sanches
The winter window closes today at 11 .p.m. GMT (6 ET). As always, Transfer Talk has its finger on the pulse when it comes to the latest rumours and gossip. See the latest deals here.
TOP STORY: Movement at Old Trafford
Manchester United may have been suspiciously quiet this January, given the speculation over Louis van Gaal's future, but Portuguese outlet O Jogo claimed on Sunday that United were in advanced talks for Benfica's 18-year-old midfielder Renato Sanches.
Benfica coach Rui Vitoria is quoted by the Record as saying of the reported interest from Old Trafford: "If things happen, they happen -- everybody here knows how it is."
There was no mention of a sale, but United fans can keep hoping a move is in the works.
Meanwhile, the Mirror reports that United are facing a battle as the window closes for Nigeria captain Ahmed Musa, with the 23-year-old CSKA Moscow forward also wanted by Leicester and Southampton for the business end of the season -- that's despite reports from BBC Sport that the Russian club want Musa to stay put until the summer.
07.30 GMT: Before the deadline, there remain plenty of questions as clubs decide whether to enter the market late. Will Liverpool secure Alex Teixeira? Miguel Delaney discusses the potential last-minute deals.
07.15 GMT: Good morning, like-minded transfer-obsessed people. It is, of course, Deadline Day, where we all lose our senses just a tiny bit. Our live blog will bring you all the deals and gossip right up until and beyond the deadline, which is 11 p.m. GMT.
Chelsea avoid shock Costa exit
Diego Costa may not be long for Chelsea despite being back among the goals of late, though his horror miss against MK Dons on Sunday wasn't exactly the best way to convince Guus Hiddink that he is approaching his best form. The Spain international has repeatedly been linked with a return to Atletico Madrid, and the Mirror reports that the Premier League champions rejected a "stunning late approach" from Atleti, which would have seen Jackson Martinez end up at Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea reportedly first rejected an outright swap deal before turning down a cash-plus-Martinez move for Costa -- not necessarily surprising given that the 29-year-old Colombian has scored just two goals in nine La Liga appearances this season.
Meanwhile, John Terry's announcement that Chelsea will not be renewing his contract at the end of the season has drawn the ire of many Stamford Bridge fans who believe that the club should offer their 35-year-old captain a "fairy-tale ending," in the centre-back's own words.
However, a Chelsea spokesperson then told ESPN FC: "He is a fantastic servant of Chelsea Football Club and a superb captain and, as such, the club will keep the channels of dialogue open."
No new deal is "currently on the table," but could Terry's announcement be a ploy to force the club into making a swift decision?
Teixeira off limits for Liverpool
Liverpool's pursuit of Alex Teixeira has had the 26-year-old Brazilian making all the right noises, but Shakhtar Donetsk's sky-high valuation looks to have put that move on the skids, unless the Anfield club come up with some serious cash on deadline day.
With signing Teixeira so far proving prohibitive for Jurgen Klopp's side, the Mirror reports that the Merseyside club could instead return to previous target Denis Cheryshev as a budget solution.
The 25-year-old Russian winger is said to want regular football ahead of Euro 2016, and Real Madrid may be willing to let the £7m-rated player go after the embarrassment of being thrown out of the Copa del Rey due to selecting Cheryshev -- ineligible at the time -- against Cadiz.
Zinedine Zidane confirmed that Cheryshev needs game time and could leave on Monday, so watch this space.
Zidane: "We'll see tomorrow but yes, Cheryshev could leave. He's a great player but he needs to play"- AS English (@English_AS) January 31, 2016
Meanwhile, Laurent Blanc has seemingly dashed any late hopes of Liverpool landing Ezequiel Lavezzi before his contract runs out this summer, with the Paris Saint-Germain boss saying: "We all know that if someone wants to leave the club, all the parts of the club must agree. Apparently it is not the case, because he hasn't moved." Fair enough.
Berahino tug of war
Transfer deadline day is no time for carefully considered financial planning, and all signs point to Saido Berahino as once again the subject of all the drama -- just as he was last summer. While West Brom have been resistant to selling the 22-year-old striker, despite him being featured only intermittently this season, the Mirror reports that the English forward -- who offered a timely reminder of his talents with two goals in the FA Cup on Saturday -- will be at the centre of a £25 million "tug of war" between Tottenham, Newcastle and Stoke.
The Magpies have reportedly seen a £21m bid rejected and are willing to go "as high as £25m" to land Berahino after making room by sending French flop Florian Thauvin back to Marseille on loan until the end of the season.
Potters boss Mark Hughes is also thought to be in contact with the Baggies regarding a bid in excess of £21m, while Spurs -- Berahino's summer fling -- are on standby and ready to enter the battle knowing the youngster prefers a move to White Hart Lane.
Meanwhile, the Guardian reports that Tottenham's move for Moussa Dembele might be toast with Fulham "angrily" calling off the 19-year-old proposed £6m move.
According to the paper, the Cottagers have backtracked after Spurs reportedly kept pushing for the forward to join up with them immediately rather than in the summer, with "precious little chance of the deal being revived."
- The LA Galaxy signed one former England veteran in Ashley Cole earlier this week, and the Mirror reports the club are now seeking to sign 33-year-old Aston Villa defender Joleon Lescott on deadline day.
Villa could also lose Micah Richards to Sunderland, but the Mail reports that the Black Cats have seen an initial offer for the Villa Park captain rejected.
Worse still for Villa is that Michu turned them down last week, with the Sun quoting the former Swansea forward -- now playing in the Spanish fourth tier with UD Langreo as saying: "I've had a few offers but I want to be honest with myself in terms of my fitness so I turned it down. I'm happy with my decision and will wait until summer."
- A-League strugglers Wellington Phoenix have added some firepower by signing 21-year-old striker Alex Jones on loan from English championship side Birmingham for the rest of the season.
- Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has said the club will not sign Celta Vigo star Nolito in the winter window.
- Swansea have been on the hunt for Crystal Palace forward Dwight Gayle, but the Mail reports that Leicester are set to hijack the Swans' move with a £7m bid if the 26-year-old's hamstring injury isn't serious.