Cristiano Ronaldo to wear golden, diamond-encrusted 'CR7' boots
While he's probably walking on air after snaffling his third Ballon d'Or out in Zurich, Cristiano Ronaldo is soon to be playing in diamonds, quite literally!
CRISTIANO RONALDO WINS 2014 BALLON D'OR
- 2014 Ballon d'Or: Ronaldo wins again | Best of Twitter
- VIDEO: Ronaldo claims award | Was it the right choice?
- Coach of the Year: Joachim Low | World XI
- Marcotti: Ronaldo deserves Ballon d'Or | Toe Poke
- Barnes: Neuer should have won | Messi tired
- Infographic: 2014 -- The year of Ronaldo | Stein
With their main man winning his third Ballon on Monday night, Nike have decided to pay homage to Ronaldo by making him his very own pair of unique "rare gold" CR7 boots.
As well as their fitting colourway, the boots are also encrusted with actual diamonds ("micro-diamonds," to be specific) which have been hand-applied as a tribute to Ronaldo's remorseless work ethic -- or something like that, anyway.
According to the official blurb, the micro-diamonds are "remnants from larger stones that are painstakingly perfected by craftsmen."
Also: "As the diamonds are refined and the details sharpened, tiny pieces are cut away, leaving micro-diamonds behind as evidence of work in progress. The commitment to keep chipping away at something already impressive reminded Nike's design team of Ronaldo's work ethic."
No doubt there will be minders in the Madrid dressing room to make sure nobody absconds with the diamond beauties.