Who is Gianni Infantino? Introducing the new FIFA president
FIFA has a new leader. Here's what you need to know about Gianni Infantino.
- He was elected as the ninth FIFA president at the Extraordinary FIFA Congress in Zurich. The election went to a second ballot for the first time since 1974.
- Infantino is a 45-year-old Swiss-Italian, who will complete Sepp Blatter's term and serve until 2019.
- The new president was born in Brig, Switzerland; 6 miles from Blatter's hometown of Visp.
- Infantino is the second FIFA president to be born in Switzerland.
- Prior to his new role, he had been UEFA General Secretary since 2009. He is also a qualified lawyer.
- He was originally nominated after Michel Platini was suspended by FIFA.
- Infantino advocates expanding the World Cup from 32 to 40 teams.
- Vision Statement: "Taking football forward".
- Key promises: Implement strict and independent control over monetary flows, including public disclosure of payments to elected FIFA members and top management, as well as a clear and transparent bidding procedure for the FIFA World Cup.