Paraguayan prosecutors sending seized CONMEBOL documents to U.S.
ASUNCION, Paraguay -- Paraguayan prosecutors say they have started going through the documents seized during a raid of the headquarters of the South American football confederation and will send them to the U.S., which is leading a probe on corruption in football.
The U.S. Justice Department last year indicted several football officials and businessmen in an alleged scheme that involved receiving bribes for commercial rights to Copa America and other tournaments.
FIFA IN CRISIS
- FIFA ban Blatter, Platini for eight years | Beckham
- Sixteen more indicted in FIFA corruption inquiry
- Two more FIFA officials arrested | Hayatou on reforms
- FIFA Executive Committee from 2010 - where are they now?
- EXCLUSIVE: FIFA probe could take five years - Swiss AG
- Amnesty slams FIFA, Qatar over workers | Dyke angry
- FIFA opens Blatter, Platini proceedings | Blatter nearly died
- Five candidates in running for FIFA | Blatter exits hospital
- Warner denies Beckenbauer agreement | Rummenigge
- Timeline of corruption | FIFA's ugly game | 538 on FIFA
The men charged include the three last presidents of the CONMEBOL confederation, which has its offices in Asuncion, Paraguay.
Prosecutor Hernan Galeano said authorities seized contracts dating from 1991 to 2015 during Thursday's raid.
"The main issues are the contracts between CONMEBOL and the companies that owned the marketing rights to Copa Libertadores and Copa America," Galeano said Friday.