Previous
Bohemians
Dundalk
Postp
Game Details
Derry City
Shamrock Rovers
Postp
Game Details
Next

LIVE Transfer Talk: Liverpool to fund Timo Werner deal by selling three players

The coronavirus pandemic has made the summer transfer window uncertain, but here are the rumours floating around Europe's big leagues and beyond.

TOP STORY: Liverpool to sell three players to land Werner

The mutual affection between Liverpool and Timo Werner is clear and The Athletic has revealed just how the Reds plan to sign him: by selling three players.

The European champions have been linked to the Germany forward throughout 2020, but some reports have suggested that Jurgen Klopp may have to wait a year to land his top target due to financial restraints.

However, the report says that Klopp could help finance the move by selling Xherdan Shaqiri, Harry Wilson and Marko Grujic.

Klopp is said to be in daily contact with Werner, who has scored 27 goals this season at RB Leipzig. He is said to have sanctioned the exit for all three players in a hope to raise £30m toward Werner's fee, which will be around £55m.

- Stream new episodes of ESPN FC Monday-Friday on ESPN+
Stream every episode of 30 for 30: Soccer Stories on ESPN+
- Where Europe's top leagues stand on finishing 2019-20 season

LIVE BLOG

22.12 BST: Twenty-three-year-old right-back Shaq Moore, who's represented the U.S. at senior level five times, has signed a new contract with Segunda Division side Tenerife that will see him remain in the Canary Islands through 2024.

21.15 BST: Corriere dello Sport writes that Roma are closing in on deals for a pair of Mino Raiola clients. First, the Giallorossi are nearing a two-year agreement with 31-year-old midfielder Giacomo Bonaventura, which would see the AC Milan midfielder arrive at the Stadio Olimpico as a free agent. Raiola is also maneuvering to get 20-year-old striker Moise Kean out of Everton on loan, with Roma said to be a destination and the Toffees prepared to allow Kean to leave without an obligation to buy.

20.18 BST: Bayern Munich's €20m purchase option for on-loan winger Ivan Perisic expired last week, according to Bild, which adds that the Bavarians have asked parent club Inter Milan for an extension on that option as the Bundesliga champions see the 31-year-old Croatia international as a backup option should they fail to sign Leroy Sane from Manchester City this summer.

19.21 BST: "Napoli came and presented an offer," Corriere dello Sport writes that the father of Gremio attacker and coveted Brazil international Everton told Brazilian radio station GauchaZH.

18.24 BST: Bayern Munich have reserved the No. 10 shirt - worn at present by Philippe Coutinho, on loan from Barcelona but widely expected to leave the German giants at the end of the campaign - for Manchester City winger Leroy Sane ahead of the 24-year-old Germany international's expected move to Bavaria this summer, according to Sport.

17.27 BST: French outlet Le10 Sport reports that Juventus have placed Adrien Rabiot on the transfer list, less than a year after signing him as a free agent, and that Arsenal and Everton have already entered negotiations with the Italian champions to bring the 25-year-old French midfielder to the Premier League for a fee that reportedly will exceed €30m.

16.30 BST: When Everton named Carlo Ancelotti as their manager it was clear that some of Napoli's players would be linked with a move to join their former boss.

According to Area Napoli, the Serie A club's owner Aurelio De Laurentiis has agreed with midfielder Allan that he will be allowed to depart if a decent offer arrives.

What terms a decent offer remains to be seen, but PSG were linked with the Brazilian and quoted around €60m a few months ago.

15.43 BST: Marca reports that Liverpool are tracking Sevilla defender Diego Carlos and are considering a move.

Carlos, 27, has a €75m release clause in his contract and Sevilla are reportedly open to selling him. Liverpool want a long-term partner for Virgil van Dijk in the centre of defence but will have to pay to get a good one.

14.55 BST: Manchester City winger Leroy Sane has been close to a move to Bayern Munich for almost a year now, but could he stay?

14.19 BST: Sporting Lisbon left-back Nuno Mendes is being watched by Manchester United, according to Record.

Mendes, 17, is tipped for the top and, speaking to Canal 11, Sporting president Frederico Varandas said last week: "He's the best U19 left-back in Europe. There have already been approaches from major European clubs with concrete proposals."

United already negotiated the €80m transfer of Bruno Fernandes, back in January, so they might feel confident about pulling this one off too given that Mendes has the same agent: Miguel Pinho.

13.36 BST: ICYMI - Emre Can has said he would "never play" for Manchester United at any point in his career due to his loyalty to rivals Liverpool.

Can, 27, was linked with a switch to United in January after dropping down the pecking order at Juventus earlier this season.

The former Liverpool player was desperate for playing time ahead of Euro 2020 and snubbed a return to the Premier League and signed for Borussia Dortmund, where he has revived his career.

"I would never play for United because of my time at Liverpool," Can told Sport Bild. "My heart would not allow it. The rivalry between those clubs is huge."

12.44 BST: Manchester United have announced their debt has risen to close to £430m in their latest financial figures. The Premier League club's third quarter results revealed net debt has increased by £127.4m to £429.1m as football across Europe comes to terms with the coronavirus pandemic.

Executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward described the "challenges" created by Covid-19 that have meant United have not played a competitive game since March 12.

United have also announced they expect to pay broadcasters a rebate of around £15m because of the outbreak "following delay and broadcast schedule changes to the 2019-20 season."

12.31 BST: There was a time when PSG striker Edinson Cavani looked like he might be headed to Inter Miami when his contract expires this summer ... now it's Inter Milan.

12.16 BST: Sport says that Arsenal and Manchester United are battling Inter Milan for Barcelona defender Samuel Umtiti.

Umtiti, 26, is viewed as surplus to requirements at Camp Nou and has seen his valued cut in half from €60m to €30m.

11.31 BST: Everton wing-back Jonjoe Kenny has said the Toffees currently have bigger issues than sorting out his future. The 23-year-old is on loan at Schalke, for whom he only missed two matches earlier this year.

"My focus is on the games here at Schalke. What happens after this season? What happens, happens," Kenny told reporters on Wednesday, adding that the coronavirus pandemic has raised other questions at Everton than his status. He said: "They've had a difficult time. Everyone is concentrating on their health and that of their family."

10.50 BST: Mundo Deportivo reports that Juventus midfielder Miralem Pjanic has told PSG sporting director Leonardo "I will only go to Barcelona."

Pjanic, 30 has been linked with a move away from Italy and plenty of clubs including Barca, PSG, Man United and Chelsea are keen. However, the Bosnia and Herzegovina international has evidently made it clear where he thinks his future lies, so a swap deal with Barca's Arthur Melo could be back on.

10.15 BST: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is keen to keep Diogo Dalot at Manchester United despite interest in the defender from a host of top European clubs, sources have told ESPN.

Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain are among those monitoring Dalot's situation at Old Trafford.

09.56 BST: Talks between City Group and Penarol regarding the transfer of Uruguay starlet Facundo Pellistri are frozen, according to local reports.

Ovacion Digital claims Penarol are looking to keep Pellistri, knowing that his value will continue to increase with several top European clubs having shown an interest in the 18-year-old winger.

Pellistri is tied to Peñarol until June 2022 and has a US$12m release clause. City had reportedly offered to pay 50% of the player's release clause, with the other 50% based on performance bonuses, with Penarol entitled to a percentage of a future sale.

09.22 BST: Lille sporting director Luis Campos is not in the running to join Tottenham and has rejected a big offer from Newcastle United, sources have told ESPN.

Campos, who has asked to leave Lille after falling out with owner Gerard Lopez, has a reputation as one of the best talent recruiters in football, forged after building the Monaco side that won the Ligue 1 title and reached the Champions League semifinals in 2017.

As well as Kylian Mbappe, that team included several players Campos had discovered -- Bernardo Silva, Benjamin Mendy, Tiemoue Bakayoko and Fabinho -- who all went on to make high-profile moves to the Premier League.

Sources have told ESPN that although a number of clubs want to hire Campos he is likely to return to Monaco and that Tottenham are not interested in him. Spurs manager Jose Mourinho is one of Campos' best friends and they have known each other for a long time. They discussed working together in London when Mourinho took over from Mauricio Pochettino last year but have not revisited the subject.

08.53 BST: According to a report in Marca on Wednesday, Real Madrid face serious competition if they want to sign Borussia Dortmund striker Erling Haaland as Paris Saint-Germain are also keen on European football's hottest property.

However, ESPN FC's Julien Laurens believes that the are several obstacles in PSG's way.

08.26 BST: Bayern Munich have let their option to purchase Ivan Perisic lapse earlier this month, Bild reports.

Croatia international Perisic joined the Bundesliga club on loan from Inter Milan last summer and Bayern had a €20m option to turn the loan into a permanent transfer.

However, amid the coronavirus outbreak, Bild reports Bayern have asked Inter for a deadline extension, and they could also seek new talks with the Serie A club because of the financial impact of the pandemic.

Perisic, 31, has scored five goals in 23 appearances since arriving at Bayern last August.

08.00 BST: Chelsea forward Olivier Giroud and goalkeeper Willy Caballero have signed one-year contract extensions until the end of the 2020-21 season, the Premier League club said on Thursday.

Giroud joined Chelsea from London rivals Arsenal in January 2018 and the 33-year-old has scored three goals in 13 matches in all competitions this season, featuring more prominently at the start of the year when Tammy Abraham was injured.

Caballero, who joined from Manchester City in 2017, has played nine games this season.

Chelsea attackers Willian and Pedro are both yet to agree new deals, meaning they are set to be out of contract this summer.

PAPER TALK (by Nick Judd)

Barcelona to sell Todibo for €25m

Barcelona are looking to sell centre-back Jean-Clair Todibo this summer for €25m, says Mundo Deportivo, though it looks as though his current loan club Schalke will be unable to afford to keep him on a permanent basis.

German club Schalke have a purchase option to keep the Frenchman and his performances have certainly warranted a bid for a permanent move. However, they have limited ability to spend that kind of money in the summer, and so Barca are offering his services around elsewhere.

Bought for just €1m a year ago, Todibo now represents the perfect opportunity for Barca to raise some much-needed funds to help go toward their own summer spending budget.

Barca have contacted clubs in Germany, England and Italy, and Todibo could represent good business for clubs looking for a centre-back without a hefty price tag.

Zidane switches attention to Gabriel

Zinedine Zidane is keen to sign a new centre-back in the summer, and while he continues to keep RB Leipzig's Dayot Upamecano in his sights, he's also monitoring Lille defender Gabriel Magalhaes, reports AS.

Zidane is frustrated at not being able to progress a deal for Upamecano, but such is the price that Madrid are having to consider alternatives with the coronavirus pandemic having an effect on their ability to spend. And now, even after Bayern Munich have announced their interest in the Leipzig defender, the player's agent has admitted Upamecano won't be going anywhere.

Gabriel fits Madrid's budget and would cost around €20 million. He's still only 22 and has been a key player for Lille this season, including in European competition, and he's left footed, which makes him an ideal partner for both Sergio Ramos and Raphael Varane.

Lille are keen to sell to help their own financial worries, and they would certainly profit after having shelled out just €3m for Gabriel. Chelsea are also interested.

Tap-ins

-- Twenty-one-year-old midfielder Oscar Rodriguez could be on the move this summer, reports Mundo Deportivo. Currently on loan at Leganes from Real Madrid, he has had offers from teams in Germany, Italy and England including Schalke, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Lazio. Rodriguez will return to Madrid at the end of the current campaign, but it looks as though he'll be one of the players Zidane will look to move on. 

-- AC Milan and Lazio are interested in signing Dominik Szoboszlai from Austrian side FC Salzburg. The midfielder has expressed an interest to move to one of Europe's main leagues in an effort to play at a higher level, and Calciomercato believes he could be Italy-bound. The player's entourage has admitted contact from Italy and that a move to Serie A would represent the perfect career move. 

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.