Tottenham Hotspur
3:30 AM UTC Jul 31, 2016
Bayern MunichBayern Munich
AC MilanAC Milan
(3) 3
(5) 3
FT-Pens
AC Milan wins 5-3 on Penalty Kicks.

Uli Honess to attend Bayern Munich vs. Mainz as a 'free man'

Uli Hoeness is looking forward to attending the Allianz Arena as "a free man," the former Bayern Munich president revealed after leaving prison.

Hoeness was released from Landsberg Prison earlier this week after serving half of his three-and-a-half-year sentence for tax evasion.

The former Bayern president, one of the most powerful figures in German football, was convicted in March 2014 for evading millions of euros in tax through an undeclared Swiss bank account. He served 21 months of his 40-month sentence.

In his first interview after his release from prison, Hoeness told Bild that he is looking forward to returning to the Allianz Arena this Wednesday when Bayern Munich host Mainz.

"I will go into the stadium as a free man, as a private person," he told the German tabloid. "I was not allowed to do that until now. I was allowed to see basketball games, but only from the back seats. I am really looking forward to seeing a live match again."

Uli Hoeness served 21 months of a 40-month sentence at Landsberg Prison.

Asked about his plans for the future, the 64-year-old said that he will first have to come to terms with the increased focus that has been on him ever since the investigations began in early 2013.

"I need to clear my head now. You can't imagine what a strain the past few years have been for my mind, not only the time in prison, but also before that," Hoeness said. "It's not all easy to forget. It's not that easy to come to terms with it all.

"I only want peace. Without photographers waiting at my house. I don't want to fear that they hide behind the next tree when I go for a walk with my wife. I am in no office at Bayern. I am not the president. I am nothing."

Comments