Mario Mandzukic has confirmed to Sportske Novosti that he will leave Bayern Munich this summer because his style of play does not fit with Pep Guardiola's tactics.
Despite scoring 18 goals in the Bundesliga this season, Mandzukic endured a frustrating season with the German champions and was not included in the squad for the DFB-Pokal final success against Borussia Dortmund despite being fit.
He has now told the Croatian press that, despite the offer of a new contract, he had asked to leave Bayern towards the end of the campaign.
"My agent, Ivan Cvjetkovic, and I had talks with Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge around May 8," the 28-year-old said. "I have told them that I want to move on and have asked them to come up with a solution.
"I would like to thank the club, who have offered me a new contract, and would also like to thank Guardiola, who is a great coach, and I wish everyone the best of luck for the future."
With the imminent arrival of Robert Lewandowski -- who finished the season as the Bundesliga's top scorer with 20 goals -- Rummenigge had warned last month that Mandzukic would find it difficult to play regular first-team football.
However, in January, just before Lewandowski's transfer was confirmed, Mandzukic's agent had insisted his client was happy to compete with the Poland international for a place in Guardiola's plans.
Mandzukic said he had only realised he had no future at the Allianz Arena after April's Champions League semifinal first leg at Real Madrid, when he had only one shot on goal during Bayern's 1-0 defeat.
"To be honest, the style of play Bayern are playing under Pep Guardiola does not fit me," he said. "Following our first leg at Real, I ultimately realised that, no matter how hard I try, this style of football will not allow me to play at my best."
The Croatia international refused to talk about his next destination and said that, for now, he now wants to focus solely on the World Cup ahead of the opening game with Brazil on June 12.