Borussia Dortmund have rubbished rumours linking Juergen Klopp with Manchester United, telling ESPN FC their coach will stay “until 2018 -- no ifs or buts.”
United confirmed that Moyes’ reign had been brought to an end on Tuesday morning, and there has been speculation that Klopp -- who guided Dortmund to last season’s Champions League final -- is among the top candidates for the role.
However, on Saturday, in response to claims Barcelona have shown interest, Klopp had dismissed the suggestion he could leave Borussia, and BVB director of communication Sascha Fligge has now ruled out any prospect the 46-year-old could take charge at Old Trafford.
“Juergen Klopp already dismissed rumours linking him to Barcelona on our official homepage on Saturday,” Fligge told ESPN FC.
The former FSV Mainz coach extended his contract until 2018 in October and Fligge said there was no possibility he would leave before then.
Before extending his deal, Klopp had been touted as a potential successor to Sir Alex Ferguson, and Fligge added: “We’ve already had this last year, but it’s final, even if some people don’t want to believe it.”
Klopp, who guided Dortmund to a fourth consecutive Champions League appearance at the weekend for the first time in the club’s history, had said he was “still a bit in love” with BVB when rejecting the Barca speculation.
Later on Tuesday morning, Klopp told The Guardian: “Man Utd is a great club and I feel very familiar with their wonderful fans, but my commitment to Borussia Dortmund and the people is not breakable.”