Pellegrini to ignore Mourinho in future
Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini insists last week's attack on Jose Mourinho was a one-off and he has refused to be drawn into a further war of words with the Chelsea boss.
• Mooney: Plan B needed
Pellegrini accused the Portuguese of lying after he had branded City as lucky and said they have benefited from refereeing decisions this season.
And in response to Mourinho’s comments that Chelsea were the “little horse” in the title race, Pellegrini claimed that the Blues were the Premier League’s big spenders.
Mourinho hit back by questioning Pellegrini’s maths and urging the Football Association to ban City midfielder Yaya Toure for a kick at Norwich’s Ricky van Wolfswinkel in Saturday’s 0-0 draw.
However, the Ivory Coast international escaped a three-game ban and Pellegrini said: “I suppose the FA acts in the way they think is better for all the teams. I trust in the FA and I trust in referees.”
And the Chilean, whose rivalry with Mourinho dates back to their days in Spain, insisted he will not continue the public argument.
He said: “I just answered once to Mourinho because if you remain always in silence, people may agree with those things. He started talking about referees and financial fair play. I don’t think it is the way. I will not continue every week talking about things that for me are not an important level.”
Pellegrini also believes Mourinho’s rhetoric is a distraction from events on the pitch, which is why he prefers to ignore whatever his successor at Real Madrid says.
He added: “I don’t respond to things Mourinho says every week because he will continue every week to try talking about things that are not [related to] football.”