Mertesacker: No plans for Germany return
Arsenal defender Per Mertesacker has hit out at the media after reports claimed he would return to Germany at the end of the season.
The Germany international, speaking as his side prepared for Friday’s World Cup qualifier against Kazakhstan, has been linked with a move to Wolfsburg but said he had no plans to go back to playing in his home country.
He took the opportunity to expand on the differences between the English and German media, criticising media outlets in his home country for recycling some of the English reports.
Mertesacker, 28, said that while reporters in Germany were allowed to speak to players at training grounds, their English counterparts could only talk to them infrequently.
“That leads to a lot of speculation, not only on the stock market but also by journalists,” he explained.
He said reports in Germany claiming he was on his way out of Arsenal had painted “a weak picture” of his situation in north London, adding: “It is very strange to me, as I constantly play and the coach trusts me, but at the same time they [the reports] make it seem that I am in a backwater.
“I have another two years left on my contract, really like it there and want to continue to help the club. I have no plans to return to Germany.”
Last week, Wolfsburg manager Klaus Allofs said that, if Mertesacker were to leave London, he would be interested in signing him.