West Ham United
Pachuca
At. San Luis
3:06 AM UTC Jan 17, 2018
Botafogo
Portuguesa RJ

Reading swoop for Carrico

Reading have announced their first signing of the January transfer window with Sporting Lisbon defender Daniel Carrico arriving in Berkshire.

Daniel Carrico battles with Edin Dzeko in the Europa League last season
Daniel Carrico battles with Edin Dzeko in the Europa League last season

Carrico, 24, moved to Reading for a fee of £600,000 on a deal until the summer of 2015, with the option of a one-year extention.

The former Portugal international was due to be out of contract at the end of the season but the Royals have moved to secure his signature early.

A statement on the club's website read: "Reading football club are delighted to confirm we have agreed a deal to sign Sporting Lisbon's club captain, midfielder Daniel Carrico.

"The 24-year-old joins the Royals to begin the club's investment in this January window. He is a versatile player and can play in the centre of defence as well as in midfield. He has signed a contract until the summer of 2014, with the option of a further year.''

Reading said Carrico, who has only made two appearances for Sporting this season because of his contractual situation, will join up with his new team-mates later this week.

Carrico said on Sporting's website: "It is with mixed emotions that I write this farewell message. I'm leaving the club of my heart, where I had the privilege of graduating (through the youth ranks) and serving for several years.

"I'm leaving because I understand that I am at a stage in my career when I have to take chances. Moreover, the proposed project is extremely exciting to me and know I can succeed.''

Information from the Press Association was used in this report