Jurgen Klopp would only ever have been tempted out his sabbatical by the Liverpool job, according to chief executive officer Ian Ayre.
Klopp, who had been without a job since leaving Borussia Dortmund in the summer, was appointed by the Reds on Thursday and will be officially presented at a news conference on Friday morning.
And Ayre has revealed that the German, who has signed a three-year contract at Anfield, has always had a soft spot for the club.
THE BEST OF ESPN FC
- Marcotti: FIFA continues to unravel | Blatter, Platini banned
- Cox: Klopp is good for Liverpool | Jolly: Chelsea woes | Quiz
- McIntyre: Klinsmann's test | Marshall: Mexico chaos | Picks
- Hunter: Areas to fix for Barca | Marcotti: Mancini's big plan
- FC TV: Power Rankings | Tension in Madrid? | Prem top four
- Highlights (U.S. only): Premier League | Champions League
- News index | Transfer Talk | Fantasy | FC TV | Podcast | MLS
"When we started the dialogue with him, it was...