Is this the summer Liverpool finally get it right in the transfer market? Have lessons been learned? Signing seven players by the July 1 opening of the window suggests that the club's much-criticised and mysterious transfer committee has chosen to get its business done early rather than later when prices begin to inflate. The new faces so far: attacking midfielder Roberto Firmino, strikers Danny Ings and Divock Origi, midfielder James Milner, right-back Nathaniel Clyne, goalkeeper Adam Bogdan and...
There was a lurch into the third person as Radamel Falcao defended his Manchester United performances.
"Falcao was always there," he said, speaking in Chile ahead of Colombia's Copa America campaign. "It depends what criteria you are using. People said I was not on the field and not scoring goals but I was always there."
It was a problematic choice of words, considering goals are the criteria by which forwards are measured and especially when signs of them becoming a more "complete" player, as appears...
Southampton are expecting to complete a deal for Toby Alderweireld after Atletico Madrid failed to cancel the buy-out clause in time.
The 26-year-old spent a highly-successful season on loan at St. Mary's last term after finding playing time limited at the Vicente Calderon Stadium.
- Transfer Talk: Daily roundup | Done deals
- Rumour Rater: Ramos, Vidal and Benteke
- Nani set for Fenerbahce | United firm on De Gea fee
- Liverpool sign Barcelona teenager Adekanye
- Marotta: Pogba won't be sold | €80m bid rejected
- Smith: Invest in defenders | Jolly: Stars free in 2016
- Brewin: Liverpool's unwanted XI | Yokhin on Douglas
- FC TV: Gab-O'Meter on Schneiderlin | Real Madrid's needs?
Alderweireld's performances have led to interest from the likes of Tottenham, with reports on Sunday suggesting that they had agreed a deal with the Spanish club.
However, Southampton remain confident of signing the Belgium...
There aren't many industries in the world where a business's profits and losses are dealt with like they are with football clubs and Financial Fair Play Regulations (FFPR). In any other line of work, what the company can spend is largely dependent on the money they have made and the projections of what funds will be coming in over the next few years. And, of course, the owner can invest whatever they like in order to make it grow.
Which makes football bizarre. Certain losses don't count -- such...
Juan Roman Riquelme has revealed that Manchester United tried to sign him in 2006 -- and said that turning Sir Alex Ferguson down was the only regret of his career.
The Argentine had helped Manuel Pellegrini's Villarreal team reach the last four of the Champions League when he said United attempted to buy him.
BEST OF ESPN FC
- Cox: Good for country, indifferent for club
- Utd want keeper record fee for De Gea - sources
- Brewin: Liverpool's unwanted XI
- Yokhin: Douglas Costa's chance at Bayern
- Jolly: Top Prem stars available in 2016
- Canales: Chicharito injury a crushing blow
- Toe Poke: Bale's incredible basketball shot
- FC TV: Gab-O-Meter on Pogba move to Barcelona
- Transfer Talk | News | All the done deals
But the playmaker opted to stay in Spain and missed out on playing his part in a hugely successful period for United.
"The only thing I regret in my career was a decision that I took,...