Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed that Wayne Rooney twice rejected a move to Manchester United.
The former United manager eventually succeeded in signing Rooney at the third attempt, when he paid Everton £27 million for the teenager in 2004.
But it ended a four-year pursuit of Rooney -- now United's captain -- as Ferguson had identified him as a target much earlier on the recommendation of Jim Ryan, then director of youth football at Old Trafford.
- Window Watch: Club-by-club | Cox: Best Prem deals
- Delaney: Transfer grades | Horncastle: Euro grades
- Prem sets new spend record | Prem window in numbers
- Bale Utd hopes wrecked | Berahino status | Mangala says 'no'
- De Gea deal fails | Real Madrid blame | Man Utd blame
- Martial joins Man United | Leverkusen sign Chicharito
- Januzaj joins Dortmund on loan | Draxler to Wolfsburg
- ESPN FC TV: Deadline day buzz | Winners and Losers
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
"Jim Ryan came back from one of our academy games...