Another Brazilian investor who previously owned a share of Neymar’s rights has complained of being mostly cut out of the €57 million deal through which the player joined Barcelona last June.
• Ledwith: Time to trust in Zubi
Barca have repeatedly said they paid €17.1 million to Neymar’s former club Santos, with the remaining €40 million going to a number of other 'businesses'. The Catalan club’s vice-president Jose Maria Bartomeu said again this week that he could not name these companies for confidentiality reasons.
The player’s registration in Brazil had been owned by his former club as well as a number of other ‘stakeholders’, including investment funds Sonda and DIS Esporte. These third-parties expected to get a share of the €57 million figure, and are now up in arms over being expected just to receive part of the €17 million.
DIS Esporte executive director Roberto Moreno said in June that his company were furious at the attempt to cut them out of the deal, and Sonda president Jose Barral has now told Cadena Ser that his company was preparing to sue to get the €16 million they are entitled to.
"We are preparing the documents to take a case," Barral said. "Our group had 40% of Neymar’s rights but we have not got a share of the €57 million, but the €17 million. We received €6.8 million, and we are owed €16 million more. That is why we will sue them."
El Pais claimed again on Wednesday that the majority of this €40 million went to Neymar’s father.
Barral also said that he did not speak with Real Madrid about any potential move for Neymar this summer, but that talks with the Bernabeu club took place in 2011, when they offered more than Barca paid in the end.
"This year we have not spoken with Madrid, but we did in 2011," he said. "They offered €65 million for Neymar."
Madrid’s interest in the starlet was long standing, as revealed by AS on Thursday when it published a document showing Neymar signed for Madrid in 2006 as a youth teamer.
The 14-year-old was accompanied to Spain by his father and then agent Wagner Ribeiro, and registered with la Federacion Madrilena de Futbol. He spent two weeks training with Madrid’s Juvenil A youth team, which included current first team squad right back Dani Carvajal, as well as Alex Fernandez [who recently joined Espanyol] and Pablo Sarabia [who is now at Getafe].
The teenager did impress Madrid’s youth coaches, but not enough to persuade the club to pay the €60,000 being asked by Ribeiro, so he returned to Brazil and continued his development at Santos.