Saudi Arabia
2:00 PM UTC
Match 34
Game Details
2:00 PM UTC
Match 33
Game Details
6:00 PM UTC
Match 35
Game Details
6:00 PM UTC
Match 36
Game Details
2:00 PM UTC Jun 26, 2018
Match 38
Game Details
2:00 PM UTC Jun 26, 2018
Match 37
Game Details
6:00 PM UTC Jun 26, 2018
Match 40
Game Details
6:00 PM UTC Jun 26, 2018
Match 39
Game Details

South Melbourne thrash Gold Coast City to reach FFA Cup semifinals

Milos Lujic celebrates one of his two goals against Gold Coast City.

South Melbourne have set up a blockbuster FFA Cup semifinal against A-League Sydney FC after thumping Gold Coast City 6-0 on Wednesday.

The former National Soccer League giants cruised into the last four at the Cbus Super Stadium, with Milos Lujic and Matthew Millar both scoring twice.

The win puts South within two victories of the club's first piece of national silverware since Ange Postecoglou steered them to their fourth title in the 1998-99 NSL grand final.

Importantly, it also gives the A-League aspirants another chance to show their expansion credentials.

It is invaluable exposure as the club continues to lobby for a licence to play in an expanded top tier in 2019-20.

No state-league club has ever won an FFA Cup semifinal before, and with the next round to be played in October -- while the A-League is in full swing -- the odds are firmly stacked against South Melbourne, whose last competitive game was nearly three weeks ago.

But the ambitious Victorians will fancy their chances after exorcising some old demons after a sharp and merciless performance.

South's first FFA Cup match in 2015 was at the same venue against the same opponents, who were then known as Palm Beach Sharks, but they lost the round-of-32 clash on penalties.

However, they were switched on from the outset in the rematch, completely outclassing Gold Coast in front of 2,907 supporters.

Goals from Lujic and Millar made it 2-0 to the visitors inside the first eight minutes.

Lujic grabbed his second in the 52nd minute, while Millar wrapped it up with a gift of a goal in the 81st minute, heading into an empty net after a mistimed pass from goalkeeper Matthew Stein.

Western Sydney Wanderers -- who beat Blacktown City on penalties in Wednesday's other quarterfinal -- will face Adelaide United in the second semifinal.

The Wanderers tuned up for the new season in front of a sellout crowd of 4,217 at Lily's Football Centre.

A third-minute Oriel Riera penalty, after Jumpei Kusukami had been brought down in the box, gave them the lead.

But the NSW NPL side fought back, James Andrew levelling in the 68th minute and scoring again in the 14th minute of extra time to hand Blacktown the lead.

Riera broke Blacktown hearts with a dramatic equaliser that sent the match to penalties.

And the Wanderers prevailed after Blacktown missed their first two penalties, Riera converting to seal a 4-2 shootout win.


Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.