Athletic Bilbao centre-half Fernando Amorebieta is set to sign for Fulham on a free transfer in the summer, according to reports.
Amorebieta, 28, who is out of contract in June, rejected the offer of a new deal earlier in the season after an apparent breakdown in his relationship with Athletic president Josu Urrutia and coach Marcelo Bielsa.
Having previously been linked with a move to Arsenal, Liverpool or Everton, the Venezuela international now looks likely to join Martin Jol’s side on a four year deal worth €2 million-a-year, according to El Correo.
The Bilbao-based paper reported that Amorebieta had been in London over Easter to discuss a move with Fulham, and said a deal could be made public in the coming days.
It also said he had turned down a five-year contract worth €1.8 million per annum with Bilbao.
Amorebieta joined Athletic in 1996, and has played 254 games for them, scoring four goals. However, he has not featured since being hauled off by Bielsa early in the second half of the home loss to Rayo Vallecano on January 11. Media reports said the pair had rowed at training the following week.
Outstanding defensive displays by youth product Aymeric Laporte, 18, have since seen Amorebieta fall even further down the San Mames pecking order.